The Facebook Conversion API With Unbounce
With the introduction of iOS 14, the Facebook Conversion API with Unbounce has become a must-have!
Before you could have gotten away with just having browser events for your tracking, but iOS 14 has dropped a huge proverbial dump on the accuracy of this tracking method.
Because Apple is hiding the cookie data of those who opt-out of tracking on iPhones which means the Facebook Pixel will not know if they convert or not.
So our students and I have seen huge discrepancies in the number of conversions we are seeing.
The Facebook Conversion API can really help with this because:
- Events are only sent to FB once they convert (Server-Side Events)
- These are much more accurate than browser events
- Works with browser events to ensure the best accuracy possible
Therefore we have created a definitive guide to setting up the Facebook Conversion API, so you can implement it easily in your agency WITHOUT the need for a developer.
We use landing page software called Unbounce, and surprisingly, they haven’t helped at all on this subject.
A quick scan of their community help sections… Crickets!
So we thought we’d do one to help you guys out looking for a solution!
Let’s get into it…
First things first…
What to do inside Facebook?
You first need to get all the information you will need to create the Zap within Go High Level
- Pixel ID
- API Token
- Name of conversion
To find these –
- Pixel ID – Go to “Business Settings” > “Data sources” > “Pixels” > Select your pixel > Click on the “ID” to copy to clipboard > Add to your notepad.
- API Token – Go to “Events Manager” > “Data Sources” > Select your pixel > Click “Settings” > Scroll down to “Conversions API” > Click “Generate Access Token” > Copy and save to your note pad.
- We are going to trigger this on successful form fills, so we will be using the “Lead” event.
The Facebook Conversion API with Unbounce is relatively simple compared to others *sigh of relief* so I will take you through how to set it up.
Setting up the Conversion API Unbounce
Once you are in the account let’s get at it!!!!
- Log into your Unbounce Account.
- Create Your landing page and attach a form.
- Then add in all your hidden fields that you need (these are necessarily needed for the conversion API but it’s best practice to collect as much data as possible).
- We usually add in utm_source, utm_medium, utm_content, utm_campaign, placement, and fbclid.
- Once thats done, save and publish.
- Then clear any cookies you have on your computer from Facebook and then login.
- Click on the first ad you see and copy and paste the “fbclid” in the URL.
- Open up your landing page and make sure that you add the following string to your URL so you know your hidden fields are working –
- Then press enter, and put through a test lead.
- Now you want to login into your Zapier account
- Then you want to create a new zap.
- The trigger should be Unbounce.
- The event should be “New Form Submission”
- Connect your account.
- Chose the page that has the form you want to connect to the Facebook Conversion API.
- Then test your trigger and make sure all the data has come through.
- Now you want to set up the next action step. I’d recommend first putting the lead and its information into a CRM or Google sheet, before then choosing the action step “Facebook Conversions”.
- Then select “Send Other Event”.
- Link your Facebook Account & Zapier.
- Then you want to set up your action.
- Fill in as much of the data as you can with the Unbounce data provided.
- Check out the video at the top and watch from 6 minutes 30 seconds. This will talk you through the process.
- Ensure you have got your Test code from Facebook, as discussed in the video and then you can test it.
- Once you’ve put the test through, you should see something like this in the test section of your Pixel.
- Check everything has been pulled through correctly and then you can go and take the test code back out.
- Then turn on your zap and you’re good to go.
- Your Facebook Conversion API is fully functional!
Want access to our other tutorials?
Go check out our Flexxable YouTube channel…
All you need to grow your PPL lead gen agency